Thames View Junior School is at the heart of our community. It is a place where everybody has a voice and is valued. Positive relationships between staff, pupils and parents ensure that our children flourish in an environment of mutual respect and tolerance. We are an ambitious school with high expectations of both staff and pupils.
Our children will leave us, ready to positively embrace life in modern Britain and through our broad and balanced curriculum we endeavour to prepare them for the stage of their academic journey.
At Thames View Junior School, our safe and nurturing environment enables children to flourish and attain their potential both academically and socially.
School motto “Striving for Excellence”.
- We come to school every day in full uniform and ready to learn.
- We are kind to everyone.
- We listen.
- We keep calm even when things are hard.
- We talk through our problems.
- We keep our hands and feet to ourselves.
- We take pride in our school.
- We show respect to all.
- We always take part and try our best.
- We strive to be excellent in all we do.
British Culture at Thames View Junior
At Thames View Junior School we celebrate British culture in the following ways and integrate these into our curriculum.
The concept of ‘pupil voice’ is prominent at Thames View Junior School as children are given the opportunity to shape their own school experiences. Whilst familiarising pupils with national and international values of democracy and governance, we recognise the significance of practising those values through engagement with ‘pupil voice by:
- Election of class representatives on to the school council
- Regular forum meetings for pupils to decide upon matters of importance to them
- Pupil led questionnaires and interviews to make decisions based on majority opinion rule of law
- Familiarisation with rules and routines is a fundamental element of life with which pupils engage at Thames View Junior School. Understanding how rules offer protection and safety, and being aware of the consequences of good and bad decisions, is essential in ensuring that pupils make the right choices.
We support pupils in this by:
- Assembly and PSHE lessons reinforce the school’s behaviour systems
- Emergency services’ presentations and Junior Citizens’ programme
- Pupils contribute in proactive programmes designed to support others in making appropriate choices individual liberty
- The positive learning ethos of Thames View Junior School enables pupils to thrive in an environment where they are safe to learn how to make the right choices.
Pupils are assisted by:
- Instruction visits for pupils from emergency services personnel
- A comprehensive e-safety programme including presentations from experts
- Curriculum and assemblies focus on positive role models from around the world to inspire children to achieve mutual respect
- All pupils are taught our ‘Jigsaw Charter’ and meditation designed to teach respectful methods of interaction in school, with transferable skills that can be used in all areas of children’s lives.
- We further cultivate the concept of mutual respect by:
- Teaching of school rules, value and ethos and the school prayer. Educating children to challenge prejudice in all of its forms
- At Thames View Junior School we actively encourage pupils to take an interest in and develop appreciation for the faiths, beliefs, cultures and lifestyles that are different to their own.
This is achieved through:
- Tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs
- Delivering a detailed religious education curriculum, celebratory cultural theme days and school trips
- PSHE and assembly themes that encourage children to explore the rich diversity of cultures and life in Modern Britain.
If you would also like to read our Racial Equality Policy please go to the policy page and click the link.